Hey, Sunshines! It is so very important to protect the largest organ of our body, our skin. We know the winter weather hits our skin hard, so we came up with a list of our go-to skincare and product tips and tricks to beat the cold. Plus they'll keep your sunless spray tan looking fab, too!
1. Exfoliating Tips and Products
It all begins with the prep: EXFOLIATION! Exfoliation removes dead skin cell buildup and improves product absorption.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND making your own body exfoliant. It’s very easy to DIY! For the most natural exfoliant, you’ll want to use 1 teaspoon of sea salt, 1 teaspoon of honey, and a little squeeze of natural lemon juice. (For sensitive skin: replace honey with raw oatmeal, ESPECIALLY during winter months.)
If you don't prefer to make your own little concoction, our own Kahuna Bay Sunless Exfoliator is available for purchase at both Pike Creek and Middletown locations. This product leaves the skin silky and soft.
TIP: Always make sure the exfoliator product you're using is free of mineral oil or unnatural additives. Also I personally recommend avoiding all sugar scrubs because they tend to irritate the skin.
2. Hydrating Tips and Products
Our spray tans not only give you a beautiful healthy glow and natural hue, but they also moisturize your body. The tanning solutions we use contain quality organic, botanical, and hypoallergenic ingredients. Depending on your skin type, undertone, and condition, we mix a custom solution to ensure proper balance in all aspects of your tan.
Here are some hot tips to keep your glow going and your skin looking FAB:
- Use Natural Coconut Oil. This oil is super hydrating and a little goes a long way. During the winter months, when your skin tends to get drier, put coconut oil into a spray bottle. After you shower (but before you get out), spray it on your body and rub it in gently; then pat dry. Your pores will still be open from the steam in the shower, allowing your skin to absorb the moisture faster and better! You can follow up with more organic lotion afterwards (in extreme cases).
- Apply Lotion With Hemp Oil. Look for lotion that contains hemp oil, which is known to have skin-calming properties for skin inflammation.
- Don't Use Bar Soap. NO BAR SOAP EVER because it is extremely drying.
- Avoid Mineral Oil or Alcohol. Anything you purchase over the counter make sure there is NO mineral oil or alcohol in the first three ingredients.
TIP: If your skin is on the oily side, you will want to avoid thick lotions. With combination skin in the summer, use what works best for you. But in the winter, make SURE to use lotions that are as close to natural as possible or an actual oil such as coconut, jojoba, aragan, etc.
3. Stick to the Basics
Everyone has different skin, so it’s important to find the product that works best for you. Many times we find that the products clients are accustomed to using are not the proper ones. As a result, these products are causing clients' skin to be dry, flakey, and itchy at times.
The best way to remedy this is to go back to the basics. These include natural (or as close to natural) lotion/oil to properly moisturize your skin without all of the fluff ingredients that may be causing skin irritation!
Hope this helps y’all out for the remainder of Winter!
Your Girls at Walkin’ On Sunshine Sunless Airbrush Tanning
Ready to schedule your next sunless spray tan? Walkin' on Sunshine has two locations: La Belle Studio in Middletown, and Maureen's Hair and Day Spa in Wilmington's Pike Creek area. And they offer Mobile Sessions, too! Call 302-545-6124 to book your appointment.